Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Beauty of the Cross

When I worked at my last job, there was a teacher and I discussing a project that I had my students do. They had to create a poster that exemplified their culture. One of the categories of culture that they had to explain was their religion. One of the posters that I hung up in the hallway had Jesus dying on the cross. His comment was, "Why do people put pictures of Jesus on the cross? It's such a sad and morbid thing." All I could say back was, "It was beautiful." I wanted to shout it at him because I couldn't understand how someone could say that the cross was a sad and horrible thing. I had to remind myself though that he wasn't a believer. That's how non-believers see the cross. They see it as a defeat. Praise God that it exemplifies victory for Christians.

"For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him might not perish, but have eternal life." ~John 3:16

Christ died on the cross out of love. Love is beautiful. People "love" many things. Our world has so perverted love (because of sin) that we don't have the conception of what love truly is. I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine giving up Hannah or Kate out of love for someone else. God gave Jesus for us. How beautiful!

The pastor preached a sermon this morning based on John 3:16. At the end he made this comment that I will leave you with. At Christmas, God came to man. At Easter, man came to God. It's every person's choice. God will not force you to love him back. Just know that He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment