Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fixing My Eyes on the Unseen

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."     ~2 Cor. 4:17-18

At this very moment, my heart is bursting with the comfort of Jesus through this verse.  I have to admit though that I am conflicted with the first part of this verse.  How is losing a baby (much less 2) considered light and momentary?  Really?  Because having your heart broken into a thousand pieces and your hopes dashed in an instant, doesn't really feel light and momentary.

Here's the key though.  If all I am is focused on the present, then yeah, those things feel like the weight of the entire world rests on my chest.  But if I can train my mind to focus on the eternal plan of God Almighty, then it is light and momentary.  That doesn't mean that I don't feel the pain from the top of my head to the very tips of toes.  It means that I know that God is doing something in my future that I can't see yet.  I may not ever see it until Heaven.  But if the hurt is so great here, it has to mean that the glory is infinitely times better there.

And I can't see the ripple effect that my baby's death had on everyone around me.  I've had a couple of opportunities to share the gospel with precious women who are grieving the same thing I am.  I've "seen" the way that God has used my pain to comfort other women who have or are going through the same thing.  But God is doing so much more eternal work that isn't seen.

So I have to hold onto the deep truth of this verse because otherwise my grief will outweigh the glory.

Lord, fix my eyes on the unseen.  Fix my eyes on you.  Don't let me get caught up in placing my confidence in my present circumstances.  Give me eyes to see your glory and give me the eternal perspective to consider my suffering light and momentary.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment