Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, March 30, 2009

Who Are You Waiting On?

I think that I have mentioned before that I am involved in a women's bible study every Friday morning. The bible study is "Esther: It's tough being a woman" by Beth Moore. Last week, she taught about waiting on the Lord. I think we all know how hard it is to wait for something. I see that displayed in Kate every time I have to take the bottle out of her mouth to burp her. She throws a little tantrum (I have to admit it's cute) because she doesn't want to wait for the rest of her milk. She wants it...NOW! I wish I could say that as we mature in age, we also mature in patience, but I'm not so sure that is the case. Sure, we learn to be patient when our tummies are rumbling, but how easy is it to wait for that next bonus or paycheck? Sometimes it's really hard to wait for the fruit of our prayers. I have lived through that.

In the teaching video portion of our study, Beth talked about waiting. Esther had to wait for the right time to approach King Xerxes with her request to save the Jews from a demise that he gave permission to.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:29-31)

Reread the bold portion of scripture again. Wow...major convinction! It doesn't say that those who hope in the ____________(fill in the blank with whatever your situation entails) new car they want, the baby they've been praying for, the spouse they long to meet, and/or the new job they hope to find will renew their strength. It says that those who hope in the Lord. I don't know about you, but I so often find myself hoping for the things that I am praying for rather than hoping and waiting on the Lord. I can easily personalize it with our recent pursuit of having children. I prayed fervently for children. I waited on the children I wasn't sure God would bless us with, instead of waiting on the Lord. Do you see the difference? I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in praying for something that we focus more on that something than God Himself. I am as guilty as the next person of this.

Waiting is not easy and God knows that. That's why the Bible says that God will renew our strength, we will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint. God doesn't promise quick answers to our prayers because it's in the waiting that He changes our hearts. I was praying this morning and thanking God for never leaving me during our attempts to get pregnant. I am totally in love with Hannah and Kate and am so grateful that He made us wait because He blessed us with better than what we could have planned for ourselves. I can tell you that through all of the waiting my prayer life has changed. I have a greater understanding for the urgency of praying for people. What may seem like such a small deal to me is a huge prayer request for some. I don't take prayer so lightly anymore. I find it a privilege and honor to pray for people, even people I don't know (hence the two little prayer for Stellan and Jonah buttons on the side).

I hope that encourages you a little bit. Just wanted to share what God is teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment