Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Awesome Promise for Parents

I was reading Isaiah 40 today during my quiet time and came across a verse that I had underlined I guess one of the previous times I have read it. However, I'm not sure that I had children the last time I read it. It stuck out on such a different level to me this time.

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." ~Isaiah 40:11

That really encourages me as a new mom. I am trying to soak up all of this advice as a new parent from books written by experts and from my friends who are more experienced moms than I am. Although, every baby and family is different so a book cannot correctly dictate the best for your child nor can a friend. How awesome is it though that God will lead those that have young. I often find myself crying out for wisdom to know how to raise Hannah and Kate. When they aren't napping right, what do I do? Is it time to switch them to a 4 hour schedule? Is it okay that Kate is better at eating solids than Hannah? Most of these are obviously not life or death situations, but rather convenience decisions. It's hard being a parent, especially when your child has limited communication skills. Who knows my children better than the One who created them and knit them together in my womb? So maybe while I rush to seek advice from books and friends, I should also be rushing to seek advice from their Maker. There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking advice from friends or books. I think God blesses us with friends who are wise and it would be foolish to pass on opportunities to glean from their experiences.

So when I feel frustrated that things with Hannah and Kate aren't "fitting into the Babywise baby", I can rest on the promise that He will gently lead me. Woohoo...that's exactly what I needed to hear this morning!

A lot of people ask me how I do it with twins. I have decided that it can be easily boiled down to a one word answer: God. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. he is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." ~Psalm 18:1-2

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of your faith in our Maker and the gifts that he has brought to your home with the birth of two beautiful girls. How blessed George and you are. Love, Grandpa T

    ReplyDelete